Forums

The Link below will direct you to the old website where you can look back at forum posts from previous years

http://aberdeensnooker.cmlwebdesign.com/index.php/test

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2018 Scottish County Championships

PreviousPage 4 of 4

Well done to both Aberdeen teams did us proud #standfreeboys#

I am sure Ross will follow up with a B team update but here is the info for the A team.

The A side opened up with a tough match against Moray which in the end we managed to  prevail 7-3, that was the springboard to really good 8-2 and 9-1 wins over our next opponents to set us up nicely for our group decider on the Sunday morning against reigning and 3 in a row champs West of Scotland.

There were a few sore heads on Sunday morning but we played a blinder to oust them 7-3 to win the group and avoid a very strong Edinburgh side in the semi finals.

We started off really well against Cumbernauld A and opened up a 5-1 lead but that was soon 5-3 with Jamie very unfortunate not to win and all of a sudden it looked as though we were in danger of drawing 5-5 which would have meant a blue ball shoot out to determine who reached the final. Kenny fought back from 40 points down to win the frame on the final black and take us into the final against Edinburgh who dismissed W.O.S in quick time in the other semi final.

And so to the final, captain Smith shuffled the pack and that proved to be a very decisive move as even though we went 2-0 down, Davis steadied the ship against a very impressive youngster in Dean Young and Paul Hardy won his frame to make it 2-2, Derek Hudson was unlucky to miscue on the final green when looking to take out Robert Carlisle but that was soon forgotten as Raymond Murray played his best frame of the weekend with a 40 odd break to make scores level again at 3-3. Barry Smith was 40 odd points behind but he grinded his way back into the frame and took it on the pink to give Aberdeen A the lead. Vice-captain Alec Main produced arguably the best colour clearance of his snooker life to put Aberdeen 5-3 ahead. It was down to Jamie and Kenny but although Jamie was slightly ahead he was unfortunate to be ground down after finding it hard to get out of a tough snooker and it was all down to the final frame.

It was nip and tuck Kenny was slightly behind but his green and especially brown were world class pots and he fluked the final pink to give Aberdeen the glory, with all the hard luck stories we have had in previous years I think we were due something like this.

Well done to both Aberdeen teams an amazing effort by all this weekend. It was a privilege to be the A team captain which was something I really enjoyed, everyone played their part, we really came together as a team and that is what got us through.

I have to make special mention to Alec Main, Raymond Murray and Kenny MacPherson for winning 6/6 this weekend against some really tough opponents - top effort!!!!

The A side now go forward to take on the English Champions Merseyside A down south in April 2019 and further information will be posted on that once the details have been finalised.

Cheers

Barry

Uploaded files:
  • Aberdeen-A.jpg
Murr has reacted to this post.
Murr

It was a blast, and a blast from the past for a few of us oldies!!

Good thing was we were not the oldest 🙂

Off to a cagey start in the first match against Dumfries, I think like most there we were all a bit nervous but once we got going, and as a true team should be we all performed. Won comfortably 6-4 in the end no breaks but good solid snooker.

Second match we were always going to be up against it with Edinburgh. We all agreed to keep the same playing order with the vodka swigger keeping up the rear. We were down 7-0 although this could easily have been a bit closer but in the end it was an 8-2 defeat, this did not get any of us down and another great team performance. Great 91 break from Edinburgh’s Dean Young against Davie Goodfellow, no complaints there.

Cumernauld A up next, was nip and tuck most games but fortune tilted their way in a few and they ran out 7-3 winners. If we had won this one we would probably have faced our Team A in the semis.

Last game up against Paisley who are a new team to the comp as well and mainly made up of an older generation:). No excuses here and we all played the best so far and signed off in third gear with a 7-3 victory.

Onwards to Sunday and the semi-final for the Plate and came up against the Borders. We got the choice of tables and chose the TV live stream tables. Put Stevie on first against Lee Mcallister and he lost but the baldie heed fairly shone in the TV lights. Lost the next to be 2-0 down then started to play and won 7-3 in the end to reach the final, again no big breaks but great team spirit and performance, well done boys.

Couldn’t believe that in the other semi-final Paisley beat Moray (who were a stronger team) in a blue ball shoot out, all the better for us. So onto the final and in the blink of an eye we were ahead 3-0 and cruising, some great performances and “old heed” shot selections along with experience saw us coast to a sublime 8-2 victory, suppose I better mention Pat Lovie got the winning 6th frame 🙂 Get in there!!

Thanks to everybody in the B Team for their “win at all costs” approach that I said quite a few times and I never heard anybody moan or complain about any of the tactics we adopted so sincere cheers for gelling as a true team which made my job easy.

Never got my dream to meet our Team A in the final…………..next time.

Murr

A great weekend in Glasgow had by all and a very successful one at that. Have to say the team spirit in the 'B' team was exceptional.  For most of us who were new to the event, a one frame shoot out type game takes a bit of getting used to, but we soon settled and got better as we progressed.

Ross's tactics to avoid qualifying & subsequently knocking the A team out in the semi's to ensure both teams won the spoils was inspired!!  Aberdeen cleaned up in Glasgow!!

Aberdeen A won,   Aberdeen B won  &  Aberdeen AFC won

Murr

I think it's been over a year since I posted anything on the site but after seeing the great result at the weekend for both teams I felt I had to jump on and congratulate you all, absolutely amazing achievement for the A team to win the championship, superb result against some great players.... and for the B team to win the plate too, great result, well done to all the lads in both teams, very proud of you all.

Gotta give a shout to Kenny MacPherson, watched the last frame,  and the green, brown, blue were absolute top class under that pressure, those shots alone were worthy of the fluked pink, you deserve MVP for that finish Kenny (that means free drinks from everyone at your next smoker/prize giving :))

Murr

Unfortunately Derek Hudson has had to pull out in April and his place will be taken by Davie Goodfellow Jnr.

Davie is delighted to be playing and is really looking forward to it.

Cheers

Barry

PreviousPage 4 of 4